College Hill Building

http://192.168.1.18/archive/files/PC6PK/822-1PC6.jpg

Description

Black & white photograph. From the reverse (typewritten): "The Collegiate School was incorporated in 1835 & opened in 1836 with Charles Bartlett as Principal. After the death of Charles Bartlett property was sold at auction to George Morgan. The school continued there until 1867 when the new Riverview School was built. Mr. Morgan opened the College Hill Hotel, which was not a great success. It was then purchased by John Huy Vassar & intended as a site for the John Guy Vassar Orphan Asylum, which was overthrown by the courts. William M. Smith purchased the property & gave it to the city as a park. The building was burned down Feb. 11, 1917."

Title

College Hill Building

Publisher

J.B. Flagler

Date

c. 1905

Format

jpeg

Language

en

Identifier

822-1PC6

Subject

Historic Postcards of Poughkeepsie

Coverage

Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, New York

Original Format

Postcard
Date Added
May 22, 2014
Collection
Historic Postcards of Poughkeepsie
Item Type
Still Image
Tags
,
Citation
“College Hill Building,” Main & Market: Sights and Sounds of the Queen City and Beyond, accessed February 17, 2020, http://mainandmarket.poklib.org/items/show/5221.